Product Management at Brilliant
How often do you get the opportunity to work on a tangible, physical product that can change the daily lives of every American household?
Think about our cars today. They have dozens of computers within them. Do we call them “smart cars”? What we call “smart homes” today will just be known as homes in the near future. Brilliant hopes to democratize the smart home itself. We build products that naturally blend within the aesthetic of your home, and allow your home to still feel like a home - not a jumble of electronics.
We also happen to be in an era where the type of experiences that have traditionally been accessible to the top 1% of households can be available for all households. Now. That’s in the matter of hundreds of dollars instead of tens of thousands.
We are looking for a Senior Product Manager to join the Brilliant Product team and help bring that vision alive - and it’s going to be an exciting journey!
Our flagship product, the Brilliant Control, is a unique product due to its ability to interact with consumers in many ways (touch, voice, motion sensing, mobile, etc.), while also controlling a wide range of smart home products (lights, music, climate, etc.).
This role is designed for a Product Manager with at least 5 years of work experience managing consumer products at scale or driving them to scale. An ideal candidate should be comfortable with managing multiple product initiatives at once while being able to perform “full-stack” product management. This includes product definition, UX, detailed specs including analytics logging, working with the engineering team through implementation, and post-launch analysis and next steps. A great part of this will involve using tools such as JIRA and Confluence for Product Definition and Planning, Balsamiq and Figma for UX/Design, and Mixpanel/Mode for Analytics while bringing products to life.
As we are an early-stage company, successful candidates will demonstrate the ability to work quickly and collaboratively, infusing their work with creativity and compassion for our customers. Being able to test, adjust, and launch in a high-growth environment will be a critical skill. Experience at a startup is a plus.
What You’ll Do
- Work across a wide range of projects, technologies and devices (including mobile, web, and smart home/IOT devices) to build innovative products.
- Embed yourself within product development teams that include other product managers, engineers, and designers to perform end-to-end product management for new features and initiatives.
- Drafting & brainstorming initial concepts and bringing them to fruition across both mobile and embedded systems.
- Create iterative wireframes and designs that meet project objectives, and respond to feedback from internal teams and user testing
- Participate, create, and utilize both quantitative and qualitative methods in understanding usage trends - including usability testing and analytics platforms.
- Actively partner with engineering during implementation to resolve blockers and conduct product reviews to reduce bugs and unintended user experiences.
- Perform post-launch analysis and identify next steps for initiatives.
- Within initiatives, determine requirements and prioritization leveraging user research, partner needs, and product insight. Meet regularly with customers and channel partners to build intuition.
- 5+ years of experience working as a Product Manager
- Bachelor's degree required from a strong university, preferably in a technical or analytical field (e.g. Natural Sciences, Engineering, Computer Science, Economics, or Finance).
- Experience with product, design, and strategy that meet user needs, product requirements, and business goals
- Aptitude for understanding a technical implementation of a product at the functional/user experience level. Said in another way, can you explain how a product you have built works?
- Ability to effectively manage, execute and deliver multiple tasks/projects simultaneously on tight timelines.
- Experience creating digital interface design solutions for the web, desktop applications and/or mobile and hand-held devices; small-screen UX on mobile or embedded systems a plus.
- Strong communication, interpersonal and organizational skills. Strong team player.
- Ability to learn and pick-up tools needed for product management tasks, such as data analytics or design tools.
- Self-starter with the ability to learn quickly and independently.
- Passionate and curious about smart home technology (if you use it at home, even better!), and how to simplify and improve how you interact with your home.
- Work experience at a startup
- Drive and passion to improving user experience and usability of complex problems
- Experience with consumer hardware product management